We love visitors and volunteers
If you are travelling to Uganda, please stop by our school and orphans’ homes and pay us a visit. Our kids love welcoming visitors with song and dance, and will be eager to ask you many questions!
You can spend a quick visit, an hour or an afternoon following a class or even try your hand at teaching English, maths or games. Kalagi is around 40 minutes from Kampala – a visit to the school can easily be added to your Uganda safari.
We also warmly welcome volunteers who would like to work with us for a longer period. Past volunteers have helped us with school construction projects, installation of solar lighting, teaching computer classes and providing sewing training.
We are eager to learn from the experience volunteers can share with us, particularly in the fields of teaching and school administration, vocational skills, construction and engineering, solar, water, farming and healthcare. These skills are the key to helping us become self-sustaining.
Samuel or Cate at our family-run company Prime Uganda Safaris will be more than happy to help you make visit arrangements. A share of profits from all Prime Safaris helps support our school and boys and girls homes.
If you are coming to visit, one of the easiest ways you can help us is by bringing supplies for the school or orphans.
We always need basic learning marterials like chalk, dusters, coloured textas/markers, writing pens, pencils, other stationery and school exercise books.
Special needs you can help us with at the moment are:
– Storybooks for reading (particularly basic reading books for Nursery – P1 – P2)
– Sports equipment (particularly footballs and netballs)
– Shoes and clothes for the orphans
– Bedding, sheets and blankets for the girls dormitory
– New or used laptop computers.
We teach the Uganda national curriculum, so school books and workbooks from other countries are not as useful as materials from Uganda.
Generous donors have played a crucial role in improving our school and orphans’ homes. With limited electricity, no running water, and partly equipped classrooms, we still need help to create a safe and sustainable learning environment.
While COVCC strives to manage the daily running costs of the school, we value the contribution donors can make toward long-term school and community improvement projects that develop the infrastructure and self-sustainability of the school (learn more about Our Model).
We are so grateful for the help that we have received to:
– Complete our P1-2 and Nursery-P7 classroom blocks;
– Install solar lighting in one of our classrooms and orphans’ home;
– Upgrade the seats and tables for our little Nursery students;
– Install two 10,000L tanks to collect rainwater;
– Start a small (but growing) school library.
These improvements have made such a big difference to the lives of our kids and really brightened up the school!
We now urgently need help with a number of other projects to make our school and orphans’ homes a safe and positive environment for our kids:
– Replacing the current pit latrines with a proper septic toilet block;
– Partitioning our Nursery classrooms to separate Baby, Middle and Top classes;
– Completing our girls’ dormitory with plastering, windows and lighting;
– Upgrading our timber & iron sheet P3-5 classrooms to a permanent block;
– Connecting to a permanent water supply like a bore well;
– Buying projector equipment so we can use our computers to assist classroom learning
– Installing solar lighting and power for more of our classrooms blocks.
We would love to hear from you if you are able to contribute toward these (or other) school or community improvement projects!
We are working on setting up an online donation system through Pesapal. In the meantime, if you would like to help us by donating, fundraising or sponsoring please contact us!
Sponsor a child’s education
COVCC sponsors as many children as we can to attend our primary school, but there are many more children in our community who cannot afford school fees and costs. And COVCC is presently unable to continue sponsoring our graduating P7 students to attend secondary school.
You can extend the gift of education and sponsor a child to attend our Primary and Nursery School by making a recurring monthly donation of $30. Sponsorship will keep a child clothed, fed and educated – making a huge difference to the child’s life. We will take care to match sponsors with children based on an assessment of vulnerability and need, prioritising children in difficult living conditions who cannot afford the costs of attending school.
Please contact us if you are interested in sponsoring one of our graduating P7 students to attend secondary school, and we will provide you with more information.